Sunday 21 August 2022

Point of Stoer Lighthouse


A full day not watching whales and dolphins today at possibly the best mainland site in North West Scotland. I spent seven hours here and saw just one white-beaked dolphin. Still, it's a very scenic spot and there were lots of birds, skuas, shearwaters, divers, auks, twite etc., but best of all, a hobby flew over the lighthouse and away south. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Hobby in Scotland before, but certainly not in this area.



However I didn't just sit in one spot all day, I also did the 5 mile return walk to the Old Man of Stoer which is very impressive, though not as big as the Old Man of Hoy.



Here's what I should have seen.


 
It was also a day of nostalgia, the island in the top right of this photo is Handa which I visited several times including with my Mum and Dad in the 1980's. It's a big sea bird colony.


In fact this is us on Handa in 1985.


This is School Loch at Lochinver where my Dad and I saw our very first summer plumage black-throated diver way back in July 1979.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts